ITIN Change of Name: Filing Requirements and Process

ITIN Application Submission

Share This Post

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on email


Name changed since ITIN is received the action required

ITIN Application Submission

What do I do if my name has changed since I received my ITIN?

If the change affects your legal name on the previously assigned ITIN, ITIN, or US Tax ID you must request a name change by sending a letter directly to the address listed under “Where do I file my Form W-7/W-7(SP)?”, later. Include an explanation of the circumstances leading to the change (marriage, divorce, etc.) and submit documentation to support your request. 

Examples include: 

A copy of a marriage license.

  • A copy of a divorce certificate.
  • An official court-related document validating the name change  

Where can I get a Form W-7/W-7(SP)? 

Form W7 can be obtained by:

  • Call 1-800-829-3676 within the continental United States only. 

Bulk quantities may also be ordered through this number. 

  • Use a personal computer to download Form W-7/W-7(SP) from our worldwide website at
  • If you are currently residing in the United States, You can visit the nearest IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center
  • Writing to:

Internal Revenue Service National Distribution Center

1201 N. Mitsubishi Motorway Bloomington,

IL 61705-6613

For more information on who requires an ID please refer to our earlier blog

For more details on the step-by-step ITIN application work process by acceptance agents please check this blog.

Our team specializes in international expatriate U.S. personal tax return services. If you need assistance with ITIN Renewal/US 1040 filing for refund claim/FATCA Compliance work/FBAR FINCEN114 Filing, ITIN/ Form W7 Application/E.I.N./Form W8BENE or Certified Acceptance Agents [C.A.A.] services/1040NR U.S. tax filing for refund claim of excess 1042S / 8288A/ 8805/ W2/ 1099. We are happy to assist our clients in a timely, efficient, and cost-effective way

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Get updates and learn from the best

More To Explore

We are happy to assist our clients in a timely, efficient, & cost-effective way

We are one of the IRS Enrolled Agents with many years of experience in US 1040/1040NR personal tax compliance reporting and FATCA Compliance FBAR Reporting.

We are also IRS Approved Certified Acceptance Agent [CAA] with many years of experience dealing with types of ITIN Form W7 application and passport certification processes for US TAX ID.

US Tax services - Expert Team