Foreign Spouse of Non US Citizen who is filing 1040 tax return

Foreign Spouse of Non US Citizen who is filing 1040 tax return

Aamir is a Indian Citizen and an IT consultant by profession on assignment to USA office and had a US 1040 tax return filing obligation. Aamir is married to Priyanka (Indian Citizen who does have US Visa and never travelled to USA in the past). Aamir was not sure if he can apply for ITIN for his non-resident alien spouse (Priyanka) so he can get benefit of higher standard deduction on his Married filing Jointly filing status on 1040. Aamir had a CPA in USA who said he cannot file the tax return online until is obtained for Priyanka. Our team assisted Aamir to obtain the ITIN for Priyanka successfully.

Please note unlike your CPA says you do not have to wait until you get ITIN to file 1040 tax return. Alternatively, you need to file 1040 tax return with ITIN application (paper filing not electronic filing).

Please note only for spouse category visa or no entry to USA is not mandatory, for children ITIN application we need proof of 183 days test, Valid US visa, USA medical record or school record is required to obtain ensure the ITIN application process goes through successfully.

For more answers related to Spouse Dependent category application, please refer to FAQ section on spouse of U.S Citizen category

We are happy to assist our clients in a timely, efficient, & cost-effective way

We are one of the IRS Enrolled Agents with many years of experience in US 1040/1040NR personal tax compliance reporting and FATCA Compliance FBAR Reporting.

We are also IRS Approved Certified Acceptance Agent [CAA] with many years of experience dealing with types of ITIN Form W7 application and passport certification processes for US TAX ID.

US Tax services - Expert Team