Are EIN and TIN the same?

Are EIN and TIN the same

Share This Post

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on email

There are many acronyms used by the IRS to identify the types of taxpayers and they are quite confusing for someone new, in this blog, we can discuss EIN and TIN.

EIN and TIN are both used for business purposes meanwhile SSN and ITIN is used to identify yourself.

EIN (Employer Identification Number)

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a federal tax identification number and is used to identify a business entity.

EIN is a unique nine-digit number issued by the IRS and includes information about which state in which the corporation is registered.

It is commonly used by employers for the purpose of reporting taxes. It is also used by estates and trusts which have income which is required to be reported on Form 1041, U.S. Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts.

TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number)

Taxpayer Identification Number is an umbrella term that is housing the EIN, ITIN and SSN.

So therefore TIN is basically itself not an identification number.

A TIN is necessary to file tax returns, statements or other tax related documents, so a form TIN is necessary to deal with the IRS.

So, yeah TIN and EIN are not really the same.

We can help you too!

ITINCAA (AKA TAXANDACCOUNTING HUB) aims to provide expert solutions to you ITIN, EIN, or US Personal tax-related matters considering the appropriate double taxation treaty rules and correct supporting documentation. We have provided EIN registration services for over 18 years, and we are a registered EIN service provider recognized by the IRS.

Get in touch with us at

(L) : +44 (0)208 221 1154
(M):+44 (0)791 439 3183
(L) :+44 (0)203 286 6445

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Get updates and learn from the best

More To Explore

We are happy to assist our clients in a timely, efficient, & cost-effective way

We are one of the IRS Enrolled Agents with many years of experience in US 1040/1040NR personal tax compliance reporting and FATCA Compliance FBAR Reporting.

We are also IRS Approved Certified Acceptance Agent [CAA] with many years of experience dealing with types of ITIN Form W7 application and passport certification processes for US TAX ID.

US Tax services - Expert Team