IRS Acceptance Agent – US Tax ID/EIN/ITIN Service for Foreign Person/ Spouse of an American citizen for Married filing jointly 1040 tax return in Qatar
Who are Acceptance Agents?
Acceptance Agents are Internal Revenue Service approved authorized agents with US tax compliance and an experienced professional team who can assist the foreign nationals with the US Tax ID/ITIN Form W7 application process with certification of passport and completion of all the associated paperwork and documents check to the application is successfully approved without any rejection from IRS.
For more information on Acceptance agents who you can refer to this blog.
What is an ITIN and who needs this?
ITIN stands for Individual Tax Identification Number which is a U.S Tax Id for Foreign Nationals with US-based income or US Citizens who are married to non-US citizen/foreign person filing 1040 federal tax return with jointly filing status.
Listed below are the categories for ITIN Form W7 application submissions done.
- ITIN is required to file 1040 Nonresident Alien Tax Return [1040NR], as a non US Citizen if an individual foreign national have any source of Income from US sources with an US tax filing obligation and without the ITIN or US tax ID, the IRS cannot process tax return, so these individual need an ITIN for file US tax return.
- Foreign individuals who are legally married to as of 31st Dec for the relevant US tax return filing year to an US citizen/resident/Green card holder filing 1040 Federal tax return with Married filing jointly status these individuals would require an ITIN for their foreign spouse. For a more detailed FAQ please click here
- Foreign National investors in USA based property investment or with rental property who are currently renting their property via a US-based property management firm or sold the US-based property and had a FIRPTA tax withholding by your title company, escrow team, and have been issued Form 8288A, then you would require an ITIN application for the refund reclaim process. For more information please click here.
- Foreign personal or Individual shareholder, a partner in LLP, LLC, or expecting stock options with the 83(b) elections, you would require and US tax ID to complete your W8BEN.
- ITIN for Form 1099B or 1042S or 8805 excess federal tax withholding reclaim process.
- A foreign person who are beneficiary of estate or nominees of the deceased person received USA based pension beneficiary income from Fidelity, TIAA pension, or other pension distribution [FORM 1099-R], in order to receive these distributions as beneficiary, you are required to have a valid ITIN number/US tax ID to complete W8 BEN.
- ITIN for US Unclaimed property claim/Stock shares etc
- If you are a resident of the tax treaty country with the USA and eligible to claim the tax treaty this could be for capital gain, royalty income, employment income, etc then you would need an ITIN to claim these benefits and reclaim the tax paid to the USA.
- ITIN for 1099G Gambling winning 30% Federal tax withholding reclaim.
For more information and list of who requires an ITIN?
Please note even though the Form W7 ITIN application looks simple and straightforward to complete any small mistake would lead to rejection. As the ITIN application process time is estimated to be between 6 to 12 weeks at peak tax season time you could potentially waste a lot of time and risk the process of losing the original passport which is mandatory if you are sending the Form W7 application directly without using an Acceptance Agent service.
How is ITIN application process is different when I send the application via an IRS-approved acceptance agent?
The IRS acceptance agent holds additional responsibility to ensure the supporting documents are correct and the passport is verified and certified (so by taking the service via acceptance agent the applicant does not have to send the original passport to the IRS ITIN office. For more details on the step-by-step ITIN application work process by acceptance agents please check this blog.
Our team specialises in international expatriate U.S. personal tax return service. If you need assistance with US 1040 filing for refund claim/FATCA Compliance work/FBAR FINCEN114 Filing, ITIN/ Form W7 Application/EIN/Form W8BENE or CAA services/1040NR U.S. tax filing for refund claim of excess 1042S / 8288A/ 8805/ W2/ 1099. We are happy to assist our clients in a timely, efficient and cost-effective way