Next Us Tax Filing Deadline – ITIN For Spouse Of Us Citizen

Next US Tax Filing Deadline Date 15th October

Share This Post

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on email

Next US Tax Filing Deadline Date 15th October

United States personal tax filing deadline date?

All US Citizens/Residents/Green cards holders need to file their US personal tax return [Form 1040] and Foreign person (i.e., Non-US Citizens/residents] with USA-based income need to file their Non-resident Alien tax return [Form 1040NR]

Tax filing deadline dates are listed as follows:

April 15th – First tax filing deadline date – If there are taxes due to be paid then it’s highly recommended to file a tax return and pay taxes by this date to avoid late filing, late payment of taxes, etc.

June 15th – Next tax filing deadline date for US citizens living outside of the United States and for foreign persons filing USA tax returns.

October 15th – If you couldn’t file the tax return by 15th April and filed an extension to file late this is the final deadline for US Citizen residents in the USA. If you are US Citizen apply for ITIN or USTAX ID for your non-USA-based spouse or dependents by completing Form W7 which is the main application. 

December 15th – If you couldn’t file the tax return by 15th April or by 15th October and filed 2 extensions to file late this is the final deadline only for US Citizen residents outside of the USA.

What is the key supporting paperwork required to apply for ITIN for the spouse of a US Citizen?

  1. The latest 1040 Federal tax return with the SSN section of the foreign spouse is marked as “Applied For” or “Form W7 Enclosed”
  2. The filing status on the US tax return should be Married Filing Jointly.
  3. If you are not sending your original passport to IRS, then the Passport copy certified by the IRS acceptance agent 
  4. Completed Form W7 and other ITIN application supporting letters prepared and signed off by your acceptance agents.

Please note: For the first year when an ITIN application is in the process you cannot E-file your 1040 tax return the wet signature needs to be submitted along with the ITIN application, when the ITIN is approved for a foreign spouse the tax return will also be IRS at the same time.

For more FAQs related to the ITIN application please refer to the below blogs.

All FAQ for ITIN for the spouse of US Citizen/Resident Alien

Do I need to travel to the United States to apply for ITIN?

Not necessary, If you applying for ITIN outside of the United States and your legal residence is in a foreign country then can use one of the local IRS-approved certified acceptance agents [CAA] for the passport verification and all the supporting documents check to ensure the application process is completed without any rejection. You can also apply directly without CAA service with this option you need to send your original passport to IRS.

Our team specializes in international expatriate U.S. personal tax return service. If you need assistance with US 1040 filing for refund claim/FATCA Compliance work/FBAR FINCEN114 Filing, ITIN/ Form W7 Application/EIN/Form W8BENE or CAA services/1040NR U.S. tax filing for refund claim of excess 1042S / 8288A/ 8805/ W2/ 1099. We are happy to assist our clients in a timely, efficient, and cost-effective way

Click here to contact us if you have any queries

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Get updates and learn from the best

More To Explore

We are happy to assist our clients in a timely, efficient, & cost-effective way

We are one of the IRS Enrolled Agents with many years of experience in US 1040/1040NR personal tax compliance reporting and FATCA Compliance FBAR Reporting.

We are also IRS Approved Certified Acceptance Agent [CAA] with many years of experience dealing with types of ITIN Form W7 application and passport certification processes for US TAX ID.

US Tax services - Expert Team