ITINs are the alternate option of Social Security numbers for those taxpayers who are not eligible for a Social Security number.
It is a 9-digit number, beginning with the number “9” which appears similar to an SSN (XXX-XX-XXXX).
Is it essential to have an ITIN?
You are required to apply for a ITIN, If you belong to any of the following category
- You do not have an SSN and are not eligible to obtain one, and
- You have a requirement to furnish a federal tax identification number or file a federal tax return, and
- You are in one of the following categories.
- Nonresident alien who is required to file a U.S. tax return
- U.S. resident alien who is (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return
- Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien
- Dependent or spouse of a nonresident alien visa holder
- Nonresident alien claiming a tax treaty benefit
- Nonresident alien student, professor or researcher filing a U.S. tax return or claiming an exception
What’s the processing time of an ITIN?
It normally takes up to six weeks for an applicant to receive their ITIN. The peak processing time falls between January and April and those applicants who file for an ITIN during this time, can take 8 to 10 weeks to receive it.
Any original documents or certified copies submitted in support of an ITIN application will be returned within 65 days. People who do not receive their original and certified documents within 65 days of mailing them to the IRS may call 1-800-908-9982 to check on them.
Once the IRS approves the ITIN application, It might take 6 to 8 weeks to process the tax return.
ITINCAA (AKA TAX AND ACCOUNTING HUB) aims to provide expert solutions to you ITIN, EIN, or US Personal tax related matters considering the appropriate double taxation treaty rules and correct supporting documentation. We have provided ITIN registration and renewal services for over 18 years, and we are a registered ITIN service provider recognized by the IRS. We can help you get your ITIN done.
Get in touch with us at
(L) : +44 (0)208 221 1154
(M):+44 (0)791 439 3183
(L) :+44 (0)203 286 6445